Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Friends and Friends of Friends

Friends and Friends of Friends
By Wayne Jacobsen
BodyLife • September 2007

This is part 12 of an occasional series on Life in the Relational Church. Check our archive on-line for the previous articles in this series.

Since I first wrote The Naked Church twenty years ago now, I have searched for a definition of the church that encompasses her majesty and yet explains in simplicity who she is and how she functions in the world. At first I thought that could be answered in structural ways as I moved from the mechanics of large institutions into more relational structures, like cell groups, home groups, and house churches.

But it didn’t work out that way, for which I am incredibly grateful. Defining the church structurally has two problems. First, the life of the church is found in the affection and cooperation of people who are living in Christ. No structure guarantees that reality. In fact, smaller groups who practice performance-based religion are even more dangerous than larger ones who do. Second, these definitions were inherently divisive—excluding brothers and sisters who met in different structures and inculcating a false sense of superiority in those who think they have finally recaptured ‘the secret’ of New Testament church life.

For the rest of the article: go to http://www.lifestream.org/LSBL.Sept07.html

2 comments:

BerkeleyRican said...

Hi Joseph, I'm a friend of Sam Lopez's. He told me I should connect with you when I'm in town next month. I'm good friends with Marc Ruiz @ cubanasogospel. Maybe you, Sam, Mark and myself could some a cigar, drink madeira and talk church - unchurch.

Peace, Jose

Joseph Holbrook said...

hey Berkeley...you know BOTH Sam and Marc? Wow... small world...

I would love to meet with you guys for a cigar, som rum and some grace! Let me know when you are in town.

You can email me at joseph.holbrook@fiu.edu